Divorce  Financial Planning
Home Page
Home Page
ADFP Member Handbook
Join The ADFP
Upcoming Events
Board Of Directors
Professional Members
Contact Us
Privacy Notice

Find a Member
Press Releases
Financial Planning
Alimony/Spousal Maintenance
Divorce & Insurance
Social Security
Collaborative Divorce
Forensic Divorce Accounting
Divorce Articles
Divorce Calculators
Divorce Handbook
Client Handbook
Divorce Dictionary
Featured Sites

The Association of Divorce Financial Planners (ADFP) is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN, 37219-2417. Web site: www.nasbatools.com.

Can I Deny My Ex-spouse Visitation?

Unless the court has granted a modification of the visitation arrangement, then you can not and should not deny visitation!

Denying visitation is one of the biggest mistakes made by most custodial parents. You may believe you have a justifiable reason for denying the visitation rights, but by law your are not permitted to do so.

Often times late child support payments or the lack there of will cause visitation discrepancies. It is important to understand that the court looks and treats visitation and child support independently.

The court does have remedies for the above situation, but it is a decision to be made by the court. For example the court may decide that the support obligation should be suspended if the custodial parent is not cooperating with the visitation arrangements. On the other hand the court may suspend visitation rights until support payments are made.

These remedies are not favored by the court, but obviously they will do what they have to do to act in the best interest of the child(ren). The court does not look favorably upon the parents who decide to take these actions without the permission of the court.

Return to the FAQ Page