Divorce  Financial Planning
Home Page
Home Page
ADFP Member Handbook
Join The ADFP
Upcoming Events
Board Of Directors
Professional Members
Contact Us
Privacy Notice

Find a Member
Press Releases
Financial Planning
Alimony/Spousal Maintenance
Divorce & Insurance
Social Security
Collaborative Divorce
Forensic Divorce Accounting
Divorce Articles
Divorce Calculators
Divorce Handbook
Client Handbook
Divorce Dictionary
Featured Sites

The Association of Divorce Financial Planners (ADFP) is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN, 37219-2417. Web site: www.nasbatools.com.

Frequently Asked Questions

Should I Move Out of the Marital Residence?: Be sure to consult with an attorney before leaving the marital residence.Leaving the home is typically defined as actually taking personal items with you (clothing, automobile, sentimental possessions, etc.) and acting as though you are going to declare a new residence for a significant amount of time.

How Do I Get a Divorce? : Before getting a divorce you, or you and your spouse should decide that you absolutely want a divorce. Even though in the divorce process, everything is reversible, it is important that you realize that the road is sometimes very long and can be a difficult one to travel.

What if I Do Not Want a Divorce?: Just because your spouse wants a divorce does not mean you have to agree with it. Divorce is something that slowly builds. It is rarely something that happens over night. Your spouse may have made up his or her mind up long ago that divorce is the only option.

Can You Modify Child Support Orders?: Making changes to an existing child support order is not uncommon. Most states will not allow a request for modification on a child support order unless a significant amount of time has passed since the order was put into place.

Can I Deny My Ex-spouse Visitation?: Unless the court has granted a modification of the visitation arrangement, then you can not and should not deny visitation! Denying visitation is one of the biggest mistakes made by most custodial parents. You may believe you have a justifiable reason for denying the visitation rights, but by law your are not permitted to do so.

How Do I Get Custody of My Child(ren)?: The first and most important step to getting custody of your child(ren) is to be a great parent and to be honest. Being a great parent is not always the easiest task during divorce, but it is important to acknowledge each and every action concerning the divorce and how it may or may not effect the child(ren).

What if I Do Not Like the Judges Decision?: The purpose of the ruling is to establish what exactly should be stated in the Final Divorce Decree. Once the attorneys have drafted the Final Divorce Decree and both parties have agreed that it coincides with the ruling, it will be presented to the Judge for signing.

What is Fair Spousal Support or Alimony?: If you and your spouse can not come to agreement on the amount of spousal support to be paid, for what length of time, and under what conditions, than the court will decide this for you.