Divorce  Financial Planning
Home Page
Home Page
ADFP Member Handbook
Join The ADFP
Upcoming Events
Board Of Directors
Professional Members
Contact Us
Privacy Notice

Find a Member
Press Releases
Financial Planning
Alimony/Spousal Maintenance
Divorce & Insurance
Social Security
Collaborative Divorce
Forensic Divorce Accounting
Divorce Articles
Divorce Calculators
Divorce Handbook
Client Handbook
Divorce Dictionary
Featured Sites

The Association of Divorce Financial Planners (ADFP) is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN, 37219-2417. Web site: www.nasbatools.com.

Child Custody Frequently Asked Questions

When is my child declared independent?
A child becomes legally independent at age 18 ( in some states age 21 ). Some factors may contribute to a child's obtaining independence before their eighteenth birthday include: entering into the United States Military Service, getting married, becoming financially independent, or obtaining a permanent residence away from either parent.

How much influence does my child have in custody declaration?
Much of this depends upon the child's age . The older the child, the more influence he or she will be able to exert. Although the court does have the final say, the testimony of a child oftentimes places significant weight on the judicial scales.

What if the wife is pregnant at the time of separation and divorce?
The unborn child is to be treated no differently than any living child.

Does a homo-sexual parent have equal rights to custody?
The homo-sexual parent should have equal rights as any other parent, with the decision obliged to and contingent upon the ultimate concern for the best interest and general welfare of the child. If under this criteria the homo-sexual parent measures best, then proper custody should be awarded.

Can custody rights change?
Absolutely. It is recommended that periodic evaluations of the parenting plan be made. This is important because so many factors can be modified or altered over a short period following the divorce, such as change in employment, residence, or marital status.

Who normally gets physical custody?
In majority of the cases, the mother is granted physical custody. However, in some instances, the mother works nights or is heavily involved in educational pursuit. In cases of this sort, physical custody is often granted to the father.

Does there need to be custody agreements?
It is required by law, for at least one parent to always be legally responsible for the child. Any change in the status of custody rights must also always be made in concern with the judicial system.

Can a non-parent obtain custody of my child?
It is possible. However, the court must be petitioned with the case being presented that the non-parent has a meaningful relationship with the child, and that the welfare of the child is best in the non-parent's hands.

How is child custody jurisdiction established?
Recent laws have been passed concerning child-napping. If one parent disagrees with the court's decision, he or she might attempt to take the child to another state and thus ( each state has different guidelines ) re-open the issue of custodial rights. There are several elements which determine the proper state in which child custody is determined: length of time the child has resided in the state, any previous court proceedings regardless of respective state concerning child custody, the residency of each parent, and so on.

When is the right time to tell my child about the divorce?
Obviously, there could never be the perfect time or place. The ultimate concern should be to maintain complete honesty and integrity when discussing the situation with the child. Children are often much smarter than their youth might lead one to believe. The child should never be misled about the parent's relationship. If the marriage is over, they have a right to be told.

Can my child be used as a witness in court?
If the child is deemed to be of mature age and able to give reliable and consistent testimony, then eligibility to testify with respect to grounds and custodial issues can be granted.

During the time of separation, should I ask my child with whom he would want to live ?
Usually, if the child has not independently come forward with a stated preference, it is a strong indication that he or she does not wish to make that decision.

How long does the child custody evaluation process take?
Any evaluation should be initiated at least six weeks prior to the court date. This process should never be hastened or undergone without full intentions of completion. A full evaluation takes about four weeks, assuming relative distance proximity between both the parents and the evaluator.

What is the typical judicial attitude towards custody?
Not, surprisingly, it is women who are most in favor. Perhaps this is due to the recognition of the value of maternal instinct. For whatever reason, it has been the precedence set in the past and traditionally many judges find it difficult to change their ways. However, with the changing of socio-economic structure of contemporary society, fathers are beginning to have a more significant parenting role.

What are parent's attitudes towards custody?
Again, not surprisingly, women are usually more wanting of custody than fathers, but the percentage of the fathers petitioning for custody is growing. This is very commonplace in a dual-income household.

After divorce, how do majority of parents react to custody arrangements?
Typically, the parents abide by the court-ordered arrangements for custody. However, it is not uncommon for the terms to change shortly thereafter the divorce due to change in lifestyles (i.e., re-marrying, financial problems).

Return to the Child Custody Page