Divorce  Financial Planning
Home Page
Home Page
ADFP Member Handbook
Join The ADFP
Upcoming Events
Board Of Directors
Professional Members
Contact Us
Privacy Notice

Find a Member
Press Releases
Financial Planning
Alimony/Spousal Maintenance
Divorce & Insurance
Social Security
Collaborative Divorce
Forensic Divorce Accounting
Divorce Articles
Divorce Calculators
Divorce Handbook
Client Handbook
Divorce Dictionary
Featured Sites

The Association of Divorce Financial Planners (ADFP) is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN, 37219-2417. Web site: www.nasbatools.com.

Jurisdiction and Child-Napping Issues

If the spouses reside in different states, or the family has recently moved to another state, the question of which specific state has the proper authority and jurisdiction to hear a child custody case might arise. The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act has established a uniform law that all 50 states are required to abide by. This legislation was passed in order to resolve these issues, which has helped prevent the problems of child-napping by parents who are dissatisfied with a particular state's decision.

In the past it was not uncommon for a parent who has lost a custody battle to take the child across state lines in an attempt to have another state's court award new custody arrangements. A set of standardized guidelines have been established to evaluate which specific state should have sole power over making the custody decisions, so presently there is seldom a dispute between states regarding custodial jurisdiction.

If a non-custodial parent snatches a child, at which time you are unable to or feel unsafe to go where he or she is living to retrieve the child, talk to your attorney and if need be file an immediate petition for contempt of court. This is "Child-napping," which is subject to severe penalties.

Return to the Child Custody Page